Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Rear disk brake issues.

Some more developments on my Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi .. w.r.t. the rear disk brakes.

First some history:
-The rear disk brake got stuck one day after approx 250Km. The whole rear disk brake assembly was replaced promptly by Shirode Auto Pune by a newer kit. There was slight heating up of the rear disk during normal running (even when rear disk was not used at all). Engineers at Shirode Auto Pune told me that this is normal in the beginning and I should not worry much about it.

-After that my Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi was serviced (1st free) at Shirode Auto Pune at 583Km. The brake was still sticking slightly and heating up negligibly (even if rear brake was not applied) after this service.

-After this servicing, I took my Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi to Bangalore. I soon noticed that the rear disk brake was sticking and heating up much more than before. The free running of the wheel had reduced (checked in neutral, engine Off and bike up on main stand). There was also audible noise of the rear disk sticking. To resolve this issue, I took the P220 (at 1122Km) to Khivraj Motors Service division, Kasturba Road, Bangalore, who are authorized Pro Biking service center in Bangalore.

-The engineers concluded that the rear disk is bent by visually inspecting the disk. I requested them to replace the part, as
according to me its a part defect. But as they did not have the spares and neither any knowledge of what to do.., to solve the problem they hammered the disk after removing the brake pad assembly. After much hard work, the disk appeared to be better then before. The engineers had difficulties putting back the brake pad assembly, and a lot of brake oil was lost, which of course they topped up.

-Now, the problem with the disk sticking has definitely reduced. The audible sound is also gone now. The heating is reduced, but it still does heat up (although lesser then before) even if the rear brake is not used in normal riding even after a run of 10Km. But the rear brake response is reduced a lot, and I have to press really hard down to make it work even a bit (something like a worn out disk pads on a drum brake). The rear brake is almost useless now.

- I was charged a fee of Rs.100 + tax for the disk brake problem by Khivraj Motors, Bangalore. The person in charge with whom I have interacted with (Service Adviser) says that the disk is not covered in warranty, as its normal wear and tear. Isn't the rear disk bend a defect, which should be covered under warranty? Any idea guys ?

-I have now written a email to all concerned bajaj email id's, with no response yet. I again called up Bajaj Pune Pro, asked for their email and forwarded the mail to them. No response yet.

What do you think about the issues...
1] disk brake sticking, and heating.. is it normal ?
2] disk's do bend and have to be hammered back to normalcy ?
2] should this be covered under warranty ?

Will the Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi be ridden with such issues, or are they just teething issues?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disc Brakes should definitely be covered under the warranty. No point in wood hammering a brake disc and putting it back. Sounds way too ridiculuos to me.

Also avoid dead braking, I once had to dead brake on a Discover and the end result was the tail of the chassis being bent to one side.

Anonymous said...

When you mentioned the rear brake sticking do you mean a screeching sound whenever the read disk brake is applied (and sometimes even without using it).
I can also hear a faint whirring sound whenever the front brake is applied.

Jim G. said...

They should definitelt cover the disc under warranty. In fact, they should even check current models for similar defects.

My rear disc brake has no bote whatsoever. At stanstill, I have to push down pretty hard on the brake pedal to lock the rear wheel. But at speeds of 30-60kph, the rear disc has no bite, it's like it's not there. I have to rely on the front brake entirely. Is there any way, we can increase pad pressure / fluid pressure for a better response.

I have had two bad falls from loss of control upon brake lock up under urgent braking. This happened in the span of 2 months. The bike is 4 months old. I also have a 3 year old Thunderbird, with 0 crash history. I thought I was a good rider. The situations over the past 6 weeks have made me think otherwise.. It's either the rear disc brake or my technique that's faulty..

@shakti: My front brake also makes a whirring sound when applied. Is that a problem? Because it's not really "normal"...

Anonymous said...

MY PROBLEM WITH MY 220 IS ITS POOR BRAKING WHEN WET AND ALSO ITS POOR REAR VIEW-IF THE LENGTH OF THE MIRROR LEG IS JUST 1" MORE ,VIEW WOULD BE MUCH BETTER,EVENTHOUGH ,I SEND E MAILS TO CONCERNED,NO FEPLAY,WE POOR CUSTOMERS-WHAT ELSE TO SAY-ANYWAY MY FIGHT IS ON TILL I GET ANS:

Anonymous said...

MY PROBLEM WITH MY 220 IS ITS POOR BRAKING WHEN WET AND ALSO ITS POOR REAR VIEW-IF THE LENGTH OF THE MIRROR LEG IS JUST 1" MORE ,VIEW WOULD BE MUCH BETTER,EVENTHOUGH ,I SEND E MAILS TO CONCERNED,NO FEPLAY,WE POOR CUSTOMERS-WHAT ELSE TO SAY-ANYWAY MY FIGHT IS ON TILL I GET ANS:

May 14, 2008 12:13 PM

Anonymous said...

I have owned a Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi Before two days from Hind Motors Chandigarh. After Delivery when i go to home i feel that their is a noise in the front disc and it is too hot.

i tell the dealers about this problem but they says that this is a normal problem. Can anybody tell me that is their is any serious problem.

Anonymous said...

The dealers usually don't accept if there is a fault with the veichle, you would need to be persistant, the mechanics would say that it is normal or its perfectly fine just to shuu you away. I'm saying this out of experience, my new bike out of the showroom was wobling and they said it's ok and does not have a problem

Unknown said...

am having Pulsar 200 NS with the same problem and i visited 7 times for the bajaj service center, but of no use ,, am also fed up of this ,,