Sunday, June 17, 2007

Report - 1000 Km done

My Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi was serviced for the first time (after ~550Km) in Pune, and then got it here in Bangalore. I had a chance to do ~400Km this Sunday from Bangalore to Shivasamudram (water falls) off Mysore Road, and back in a day. The road is a 4 lane expressway quality road, except a few Km near the falls.

Ride Comfort: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi is very comfortable for long rides. Only issue noticed was pain in the legs due to the bent position and driving for long stretches. Even the better half was happy with the Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi'soverall. One major problem I faced was pain in the left hand the next day. The left thumb and palms are aching badly due to the hard clutch. But I soon realized that I held the handle in a wrong way and constantly stressed on the palms, holding the thumbs down hard. Now after correcting my hand position, the hand is good to go.

Ride quality: The wide profile and tubeless tires and nitrox shock absorbers are a boon on dirt roads or going off track. I had a chance to do some off-roading on the way for around 3 Km. The road was dug out and had rocks all over. I could comfortably keep a speed of 45-50 in 4th gear. This even surprised my wife when we easily over took others safely and painlessly on that terrain. The tread of the tires is good enough to provide sufficient traction and control in mud/sand and wet 'kichad'.

Engine Response: The engine is very responsive even in 5th gears, and overtaking and highway handling is great. One issue noticed was as the speed increases, the Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi feels a bit lighter in weight. After the Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi did 1000Km, I tried running at a speed of 100Kmph for around 1 Km distance, just to test it out. It achieved that speed of 100Kmph from my normal cruising speed of 65Kmph easily. But the Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi felt very light weighted at that speed. I don't know if thats good or bad. I tried increasing speed further over 100, but the response was reduced at that point, and I could feel the Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi starting to strain after 105. I reduced the speed back to 65 after a distance of 1Km. I'm sure the engine will do better after the second servicing. But the vibrations and stability was very good at the high speed.

Issues: Another issue, which has been troubling me since day 1, is the rear disk brake sticking slightly. Already replaced once, the rear disk brake has started making audiable noise on applying the brake. It also heats up due to friction, even in normal running and not application of the brakes. Need to consult Bajaj Pro soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Occasional bursts of speed in a controlled manner - ie building RPM steadily and not ripping - will aid in freeing up the engine during running in . And besides I think 2000 is your target to complete running in - so with another 1K to go , you could try this .

I found that it helped to smoothen the engine and make it more rev happy on my P200 .